Project Stonefruit (InDIYana '27 theme)

Trying out a minimum starting info style of project log. That might make updates a bit more interesting.

Step 1: Acquire sheet goods

I opted to actually get two 2’x4’ sheets. Regular birch ply from Menards (not “baltic birch”). Easy to get home and can go straight on the tablesaw without processing down, like a large sheet would require. But there is a cost for that convenience ($36ea :grimacing:)

One issue I find is they likely cut these from regular 4’x8’ sheets. So, the actual dimensions can vary due to blade kerf and whatever actual dimension they set the saw to. Which could lead to the last board being smaller than the other three from the sheet. In my case one board was a little over 23 7/8" and the other a little over 23 3/4". I plan to trim them down to the same dimension so I have two “identical” boards to start with. The difference only being pretty much a blade width anyway. @wolf is this ok?

Copasetic!

1 Like

Ok, I’ll need to cut them in half lengthwise. So I’ll try to get the measurement as close as I can to half of the smaller board (minus half the kerf) and run both pieces through to equal them up.

I need as much internal volume as I can out of these boards, but gotta leave a smidge to flush trim too.

Made some sawdust after work.

I used this basic cut template that I came up with years ago for two 2’x4’ or one 4’x4’ sheet for two 1.1ish cf enclosures. But this time I stretched the dimensions a bit to use as much of the board as I could while still getting a couple narrow cross brace pieces per box.

The measurements were “safe” general dimensions in case sheets had a damaged edge or were extra undersize. Today I bumped out the 11.75" measurement an extra 1/16". The 18" became 18 3/8". The 16 1/2" became 16 5/8". This left the brace pieces probably a hair over 3/4".

3 Likes

These speakers will have lineage back to ones I built 6 years ago. Before I even had a measurement mic. The issues I had with em prompted me to finaly get a mic. Which ultimately led to the project being a bust. But, I had fun listening to the changes and learning to see on the graph what I was hearing. From these I learned I kindof like a mid-forward speaker. They were pretty dang good for watching TV. And, made voices extra big and clear in music.

I found that horn/wg for $4ea as a closeout. It was a version of the one used in the latest Klipsch Heresy. It did not have the woofer cutout in it, but it did have a faint line of the cutout in the mold. So I just followed the line with a flap disk on an angle grinder. Now that I know more. I think there is a reason klipsch use it as a Mid horn instead of higher up. The abrupt change in angle at the throat is probably what caused the big 10khz dip I saw in the measurements. So I won’t be reusing it this time.

This all happened before I even joined MAC. Mind blowing to think I’ve only been around here for such a short time.

This used an MCM woofer and CD. It was basically research and a precurser towards what ended up being my “personal debut” into the scene: the Faux pas.